Thursday, March 4, 2010

What constitutes to a good movie?

Every Monday during my lunch break I have a ritualized punch up with my colleagues while discussing the movies seen over the weekend!  The bone of contention usually is rating a movie as good or not. Unfortunately differing tastes are not considered yardsticks for any comparison.

My colleagues are die-hard fans of Aamir Khan and I am more pragmatic or rather too cynical to burn incense at any matinee idols alter. I personally  feel that Ghajni was a terrible waste of time and 3 Idiots though had its moments wasn’t a flawless movie without many other superior movies made in 2009!

Maybe I am a bit snobbish and belong to the “multiplex” crowd. Or maybe watching too many hollywood movies which shamelessly steal from hindi movies have made me too jaded… But for me a good movie is a movie which entertains, interests and makes one emote…. Not at all any movie which the actors or directors joyfully suggest “Ki dimag ghar pe chodd ke dekho” that to me is like suggesting that if rape is inevitable then might as well lie back and enjoy…. Yes, I find it that offensive. More over I have spent the past few decades clawing hard to reach a higher plain of intelligence and refuse to dumb down so that I could find Akshay Kumar farting on Amrita Arora’s face funny. My colleagues at this juncture argue that whatever but the movie has been financially successful… ahhhh!!

Sometimes I am forced to question my views. Am I being too snobbish to not enjoy most of the bollywood fare? Am I too much of an elitest to not enjoy those movies that the masses enjoy? Thankfully, all doubts evaporate instantly when I go home and switch on the telly and catch basically anything from the 90’s…

p.s: I do not HATE hindi movies on contrary I am really excited about watch the Road Movie, Lahore and Love, Sex aur Dhokha this March.

[Via http://jadedinjuly.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment